to 7th December
Sign Language In Six Weeks
Learn the basics of British Sign Language in 6 weeks!
COMPLETE OUR ONLINE SELF-STUDY PACKAGE FIRST: To be eligible for this opportunity, you must have already completed our Deaf Awareness and BSL Intensive, which will act as the induction to the online course. If you are interested in the course, we encourage you to complete this intensive as soon as possible - it will take about 10 hours and you will receive Rise points. Another iteration of this course is available on Wednesdays, from 2-3. British Sign Language is a rich and beautiful visual language comprising of hand gestures, facial expressions and body movements. British Sign Language (or BSL, as it is more commonly known) was recognised by the UK Government as a language in 2003 and is the preferred language of over 125,000 people in the UK today. It is an extraordinary, complex language and whilst it is heavily based in English vernacular it has its own syntax and grammar systems. This course will involve two parts:
- An online self-study package to enable you to familiarise yourself independently with the basics of BSL and deaf-culture.
- Six one-hour tutorial sessions with a tutor from the Manchester Deaf Centre
In A Nutshell...
- Learn the basics...of sign language and better understand deaf culture.
- Learn a life skill...that will benefit you in the future.
- Engage on-campus...work in a small group, led by the Manchester Deaf Centre.
- Earn up to 100 Rise points ... which can be recognised within your degree.
- Deaf Awareness and British Sign Language Familiarise yourself with the basics of BSL before the 6-week programme starts Important: You will only be able to apply for this activity if you have completed this pre-requisite study pack.
13:00 to 14:00 on 02/11/22 - Business School 4.07B (N Atrium)
Session #1 On Campus
13:00 to 14:00 on 09/11/22 - Business School 4.07B (N Atrium)
Session #2 On Campus
13:00 to 14:00 on 16/11/22 - Business School 5.06 (N Atrium)
Session #3 On Campus
13:00 to 14:00 on 23/11/22 - Business School 4.07B (N Atrium)
Session #4 On Campus
13:00 to 14:00 on 30/11/22 - Business School 4.07B (N Atrium)
Session #5 On Campus
13:00 to 14:00 on 07/12/22 - Business School 4.07B (N Atrium)
Session #6 On Campus