Sign Language Two Day Course
Two options are available for this course. The second one can be accessed here.
British Sign Language (or BSL, as it is more commonly known) is a rich and beautiful visual language comprising of hand gestures, facial expressions, and body movements. It was recognised by the UK Government as a language in 2003 and is the preferred language of over 125,000 people in the UK today. It is an extraordinary, complex language, and whilst it is heavily based on English vernacular, it has its own syntax and grammar systems.
In this two-day course, you will explore the foundations of British Sign Language, diving into deaf culture and the importance of deaf awareness. Taught by experts from the Manchester Deaf Centre, you’ll learn basic conversational expressions, how to introduce yourself and vocabulary around time and numbers.
To learn BSL is to contribute to the Manchester Deaf Centre’s mission to raise deaf awareness, alter misconceptions, and break down language barriers. You will also gain a new life skill and bring closer the hearing and D/deaf communities.
Expand your mind and skills and engage with a whole new community. Enrol on this course and start your British Sign Language journey now!
In A Nutshell...
- Learn... the basics of sign language with experts from the Manchester Deaf Centre.
- Gain... a better understanding of deaf culture.
- Engage on-campus...working in a small group for two afternoons.
- Develop... a new life skill that will help you to support others
- Deaf Awareness and British Sign Language Familiarise yourself with the basics of BSL before the 2-day course starts Important: You will only be able to apply for this activity if you have completed this pre-requisite study pack.
15:00 to 17:00 on 23/01/23 - Business School 3.11 (S Atrium)
Session #1 On Campus
15:00 to 17:00 on 24/01/23 - Business School 3.11 (S Atrium)
Session #2 On Campus
15:00 to 17:00 on 25/01/23 - Business School 3.11 (S Atrium)
Sessions #3 On Campus