This collaborative project will explore the role of the performer/artist in theatre, their individuality and diversity, and the act of collaboration involved when they coexist within a theatrical frame.
What happens to the idea of theatre when the relationship between the performers and the director is closer to that between the visual artists and the curator in a gallery exhibition? When the practice, history and background of the performers is as much the basis of the piece as any frame or text introduced by the director? What happens to ‘meaning’, to the coherence of the audience experience, if every performer is genuinely a collaborating artist, and who they are and what they bring is at least as important as how they serve someone else’s agenda?
Contemporary Theatre approaches the art-form with a fresh set of eyes. Reconsidering the conventions that so much of theatre has historically relied upon doesn’t mean dismissing these out of hand, but exposing them to creative scrutiny, unlocking the potential that exists in the ‘form’, looking beyond the established task of representing fiction.
In A Nutshell...
- Specifically...a series of approx. 8-10 practical performance workshops/rehearsals culminating in a performance event that combines the performance input of all collaborators.
- Come together...as 6-8 people from a range of different performance backgrounds locate their performance practice in the frame of a directed/curated contemporary theatre setting.
- All backgrounds...performers/artists from diverse backgrounds are particularly welcome.
- When and where...workshops weekly or twice weekly in the Grosvenor East building, from 27 May to 8 July, times to be agreed.
- Importantly...participants should have a sense of their own performance practice and an openness to experiment with the framing and development of their work.
- Earn up to 200 Rise points ... which can be recognised within your degree.
10:00 to 13:00 on 27/05/22 - Grosvenor East Building
30/05/22 to 08/07/22 - Grosvenor East
Workshops and rehearsals continued - max 2x 3hr sessions per week tbc
05/07/22 to 08/07/22 - Grosvenor East Building
Performance presentation - final time tbc