Festival of Libraries Engagement Team
Festival of Libraries Engagement Team is a project which links students in small groups with local libraries within the Manchester public network, to support festival projects designed to increase engagement with the Libraries. These will include:
- Carrot to the Stars: students will use prepared materials to lead workshops with children aged 7+ in libraries focused on this translated comic book, originally published in French in 2010
- Readers in Residence: students will work alongside a writer in a school linked with a local library to develop a showcase of work to be performed in the library during the festival
- Look for a Book: students will work with a local library to promote engagement with and run a ‘treasure hunt’ to find books hidden in the local area. Finders of the books win tickets to author events within the festival.
This project will be supported by meetings with the festival organisers and staff in the libraries students are paired with. Each student will be provided with mentoring support from Phd students through the project and will have their expenses paid to travel to the libraries.
In A Nutshell...
- Collaborate... with students across the university
- Engage online... with other students and Man Met academics on Teams
- Engage in person... with professional library staff, teachers and students in libraries and schools
- Learn... about strategies for increasing engagement with libraries and reading
- Develop... your confidence in working with external organisations, young people and the public
- Earn up to 152 Rise points ... which can be recognised within your degree.
13:30 to 15:30 on 06/05/22 - Takes place online
Festival of Libraries Team Briefing This online Teams meeting will give you a chance to meet the team coordinating Festival of Libraries, to hear more about the Festival and your involvement, and to set up activities for the coming weeks.
09/05/22 to 13/05/22
Meetings with local library staff and mentors Over this week students will have meetings with local library staff and Phd student mentors to plan activities
16/05/22 to 19/06/22
Festival of Libraries planning and activities Over these five weeks students will spend a total or around 5 days planning and delivering Festival of Libraries activities, with supervision and support from Phd student mentors and Library staff.