– An example of a game I hacked recently.
– Original game: trick-taking competitive card game, about making the most of scarce resources, and sharing information stealthily
– New mechanics: I wanted to simulate how the SARS-CoV-2 virus spreads stealthily among asymptomatic people
– Desired dynamics and aesthetics: coordination between players, sharing information and resources
BrisCORONA is a cooperative hack of Briscola https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2008/nov/22/rules-card-games-briscola
Development diary (part 1/?) https://medium.com/10-game-hacks-in-10-weeks/a-day-in-the-life-of-a-games-hacker-part-1-3fa7928001e9
– Playtesting is vital, but of course saving lives is more vital..
– Virtual playtest: a little slower than IRL but once you’re set up it’s so easy to replicate/modify, and to capture data
BrisCORONA on Tabletopia https://tabletopia.com/playground/briscorona-np4f4s/play-now